Carlos Luis Boucher de Grand Pre, Avoyellean of 1796
Carlos Luis Boucher de Grand Pre, Avoyellean of 1796 has the distinction of being the only head of a regional government ever headquartered in Avoyelles.
He was appointed by the Spanish Governor as the Lietuenant Governor of the Red River District.
The order in 1796 specified that DeGrandpre's headquarters should be at Avoyelles.
DeGrandpre relocated to Avoyelles per the order, and began the administration of the Spanish Government over the Red River valley region from the Avoyelles Post.
GrandPre's plantation was north of what is now Marksville between about Main Street, Cedar Lane, Landry Beuregard Lane and Tunica Drive.
For a list of past recipients of the Avoyellean of the Year award visit: Avoyelleans of the Year